Experts in radiation oncology at Decatur Memorial Hospital treat people who have a wide variety of cancers each year. Radiation oncologists work closely with medical oncologists, surgeons and other doctors to coordinate the most appropriate care for you.
Radiation therapy uses carefully targeted and regulated doses of high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells. Radiation causes some cancer cells to die immediately after treatment, but most die or become incapacitated as a result of the radiation-induced damage to the cancer cell’s chromosomes and DNA.
- Experience and advanced technology. DMH’s radiation therapy services combine the quality and capability of state-of-the-art equipment with the expertise and compassion of the medical staff.
- Specialized skills. Each radiation oncologist has specialized training in performing radiation treatment for people with cancer and those with certain noncancerous (benign) conditions. The doctors further specialize by concentrating their individual practices on treating different types of cancers, including complex and rare cancers. This specialized expertise ensures precision treatment and improved outcomes.
- Treatment tailored to your needs. DMH’s radiation oncology professionals tailor treatment to your needs. After the radiation oncologist identifies the areas to be treated, radiation is directed to the cancerous tumors to minimize the dose of radiation to normal tissues.
- Comprehensive cancer center. DMH Cancer Care Institute meets strict standards for a Commission on Cancer comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence, a strong research program and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Innovative clinical research studies. Clinical research studies are available to eligible people with cancer. Clinical studies provide the opportunity to participate in the newest and most innovative investigative programs that may offer the greatest hope for the most difficult cancer problems.