Diabetes education is the cornerstone of care for all individuals with diabetes who want achieve successful, healthy outcomes.
The DMH Diabetes Education Program is certified by the American Diabetes Association as an officially recognized program that has demonstrated compliance in meeting the organization’s rigid standards.
Benefits of our Diabetes Education Program
- Our staff provides a team approach in educating individuals with diabetes
- Individual and group education for adults is offered
- Reimbursement is covered by Medicare and most insurance companies
- Support persons are strongly encouraged to attend all education sessions
- Part One — A one-hour needs assessment
- Part Two — Two four-hour classes
- Part Three — A one-hour class, held four to six weeks later
Individual and Group Discussion Topics
- Physical activity
- Appropriate nutritional management
- Utilizing medications appropriately (if applicable)
- Monitoring blood glucose and urine ketones (when appropriate) and using the results to improve control
- Preventing, detecting, and treating acute complications
- Preventing (through risk reduction behavior), detecting and treating chronic complications
- Setting goals to promote health and problem solving for daily living
- Integrating psychosocial adjustment to daily life
Pre-Diabetes Education Program
DMH Health and Wellness provides a pre-diabetes education program that includes a staff of registered dietitians, exercise physiologists and registered nurses.
Managing pre-diabetes is important for a number of reasons:
- Without effective care, cases of pre-diabetes can progress to type 2 diabetes. Effective pre-diabetes care can prevent the progression of pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes, delay the progression of pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes, or reverse pre-diabetes.
- By making healthy lifestyle changes, you can prevent or delay the progression of pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes.
To learn more about the Diabetes Education Program or to register, please call 217-855-7485. The Diabetes Education Center is located in the outpatient therapy department near outpatient registration and Subway.