What is Lung Cancer?
Your lungs are responsible for delivering oxygen to your body when you inhale, and removing carbon dioxide as you exhale. When you develop lung cancer, the cancer cells begin to multiply and prevent the healthy cells from functioning properly and developing into healthy lung tissue.
Are you at Risk?
The following factors can increase your risk for developing lung cancer:
- Air pollution
If you are at high risk for lung cancer, Decatur Memorial Hospital offers low-dose CT screenings* that can help detect lung cancer – before you have symptoms.
* Now covered by Medicare and most insurance companies.
Accredited by the American College of Radiology
DMH has been designated by the American College of Radiology as a top quality provider of safe, effective diagnostic imaging for individuals at high risk for lung cancer.
Lung Cancer Screening
- Requires a physician’s referral
- Covered by Medicare and private insurance plans for qualifying patients
- Does not involve the use of contrast
- Carries a low radiation dose
Read our FAQs to learn more about the risks associated with lung cancer screening, including incidental findings and radiation risk.
- Has a high rate of false positive findings, which may lead to follow-up exams, additional cost, additional radiation exposure and patient anxiety
- It is important that a health care provider manage follow up care for patients with a positive finding
Patients who meet the following criteria are eligible for an annual low-dose CT scan (LDCT) to screen for lung cancer:
- Are 55 to 77 years old and in fairly good health and have smoked at least a pack of cigarettes a day for 30 years or more
- Currently smoke
- Have quit smoking within the past 15 years.No symptoms of lung cancer such as cough, shortness of breath or chest pain
- Able and willing to tolerate treatment if lung cancer is discovered
**A physician order is required.
South Shores Imaging Center
1689 S. Franklin Street
Decatur, IL 62521
Forsyth Imaging Center
389 W. Weaver Road
Forsyth, IL 62535
Shelbyville Medical Center
415 North Cedar Street
Shelbyville, IL 62565