C-11 Choline PET/CT scan is an imaging test used to help detect recurring prostate cancer. The scan can pinpoint prostate cancer much sooner than conventional imaging. With this technology, physicians can detect prostate cancer more precisely and provide more targeted, effective treatment.
In the largest published study in the U.S. on C-11 Choline imaging, there was a 32 percent increased detection rate of prostate cancer lesions which were not identified on conventional CT scan and bone scan.
For more information call 217-876-2338.
Day of the Imaging Test
The study will take approximately three and a half hours. You will check in at Admitting/Registration at Decatur Memorial Hospital 45 minutes before the scheduled scan time. You will be asked some questions about your personal health history.
- Fasting is required for at least six hours.
- You will undress completely and put on a patient gown.
- You will then be taken to the PET Scan area.
- You will drink 16 ounces of water.
- The nuclear medicine technologist will review the scan procedure with you.
- The nuclear medicine technologist will insert an IV in your arm and then inject C-11 Choline.
- You will be taken to the restroom to urinate.
During the imaging procedure, PET scan and CT scan are done at the same time to show detailed internal anatomy. Using the scans simultaneously reveals a clearer picture of affected locations.
- You will be taken to the PET Scan room for the imaging which will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Following the PET Scan, you will remain lying flat and be taken to the MRI room and moved into the MRI scanner.
- The MRI scan will take approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Once the MRI is completed, you will be taken back to the dressing area to change back into your clothes.
- The results will be given to your referring physician. We will also provide you with a CD of your scans.
If you have any questions, please call 217-876-2338.
If You are Coming to Decatur from Out-of-Town
A concierge service is provided by Decatur Memorial Hospital for out-of-town patients undergoing C-11 Choline PET/CT scan. A representative will meet you at the Decatur, Illinois Airport or at your hotel and guide you to the hospital. Please call 217-876-2338 or fill in form below to arrange concierge service during your visit.