After surgery you will be taken to the post anesthesia care area. You will be in a recliner or on a stretcher for comfort. As your anesthesia wears off you may have blurry vision, a dry mouth and/or chills. This is common and you should not be alarmed. Your vital signs are watched closely. If you have pain, you will be given pain medication. We also will provide something to drink and a light snack. Your care will be under direction and orders of your doctor. The person who accompanies you to your surgery is encouraged to stay in our waiting room until the doctor speaks with them after your surgery.
- You have to have an adult ready to drive you home. Even following minor surgery you may feel weak, drowsy and a little sick to your stomach. Plan to rest or relax for the next 24 hours. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery or power tools. Do not drink alcohol.
- You may have some hoarseness and/or sore throat if you have had general anesthesia.
- The nurse will go over your instructions for home care. Please follow them carefully.
- Keep your dressing clean and dry. You will have instructions from your doctor when to remove the dressing.
- You may not feel like eating much. Try to avoid fatty, rich or spicy foods at first. Drink plenty of liquids.
- Always follow your doctor’s orders.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.