Main Menu

Related content


How do I apply? Do I apply to Decatur Memorial Hospital and Millikin University separately?

Application can be made through the Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCas) at To apply via NursingCas, go to the NursingCas website and after registering select Millikin University. It is not necessary to apply to both Decatur Memorial Hospital (DMH) and Millikin University as DMH obtains the information submitted from Millikin University. This streamlined process prevents the applicant from duplicate submission of information.

Who can I contact for questions regarding the application process?

Please contact Marianne Taylor, Director of PACE & Graduate Admissions at or 217-420-6771 for admission questions.

Must application materials be submitted all at once?

No. Materials may be submitted as available, however all materials must be submitted in NursingCas for the information to be available for review by the Admissions Committee. All transcripts from previous educational endeavors must be submitted.

What pre-requisite coursework is required?

An Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry course and a Graduate Level statistics course are required. A copy of the course description maybe submitted to Marianne Taylor for verification that a planned course is acceptable.

Can I still apply if all admission requirements have not been completed?

Yes. Verification of enrollment in any outstanding coursework or certification requirements (i.e. PALS) must be submitted during the application process. However, those candidates with complete files by the deadline date are given priority.

How do I document my enrollment in a pre-requisite course?

Examples of documentation verifying enrollment in pre-requisite courses/certifications may include, but are not limited to, submission of course registration forms, receipt of payment, or official course schedule.

Are all applicants invited for an interview with the Admissions Committee?

No. All submitted applications are reviewed by our joint Admissions Committee. All aspects of the submitted application materials are thoroughly evaluated by the committee and interviews are extended to those applicants the committee feels may be most successful in completing the program.

What types of critical care are acceptable?

We require at least one year (2 or more preferably) of recent experience as a R.N. in an adult intensive care unit. The minimum one year must be as an independent nurse (does not include time in preceptorship or orientation). The adult intensive care unit should prepare the RN as an independent decision maker in the care of acutely ill patients and provide experience in the interpretation of invasive monitors, titration of vasoactive infusions and management of ventilated patients. We do not accept operating room, post-anesthesia recovery (PACU), step-down, or emergency room experience as meeting the admission requirement. The CCRN is required by the application deadline to ensure that the applicant has met the minimum COA requirement for critical care experience.

Is the GRE required?

We do not require the GRE for admission. We do evaluate your performance in undergraduate education and expect a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Earned GPAs in nursing and science courses are used to determine appropriateness for admission. A GPA of less than 3.5 may be considered to be less competitive. Should the applicant’s nursing GPA be less than 3.0 or the applicant desires to be more competitive completion of the GRE is recommended.

Do I have to have an Illinois RN license to apply?

All applicants must possess a valid and unencumbered RN license to apply. Applicants are required to submit a copy of the RN license when they apply. An Illinois RN license must be obtained prior to enrollment in the nurse anesthesia program and maintained throughout their attendance in the program.

Is financial aid available? If so, how do I apply?

Complete information on financial aid is available through Millikin University’s financial aid office at

Is any coursework provided as online courses?

DNP core nursing courses are provided in the online format. Nurse anesthesia courses are provided in the traditional face-to-face format. Didactic classes are generally provided during the day Monday through Friday. Clinical courses are scheduled Monday through Friday with call and weekend shifts beginning the second year of the program.

Is there a part-time course of study?

No, the NAP is a 36 month full-time course of study. The course of study begins in January and culminates in December.

Can I work during the program?

We highly discourage students from working during the program due to the academic rigor and time constraints of the Nurse Anesthesia Program.

Is there a waitlist for applicants who are not offered positions?

Yes, applicants may be offered an alternate position and may be called from the list until the start of the program.

What if I am not accepted the first time I apply?

Due to the limited number of available positions, many applicants may not be accepted into program the first time they apply. Applicant files are maintained for three years after interview to facilitate reapplication. Contact Marianne Taylor, Director of PACE & Graduate Admissions at or 217-420-6771 to reactivate your file. Prior students have increased the competitiveness of their application by taking additional academic courses (particularly science and graduate level courses), expanding their ICU experiences, and improving interviewing skills.

I am an Associate Degree Registered Nurse and still completing my Bachelor Degree in Nursing, am I eligible to apply?

Yes, as long as the BSN degree is successfully completed by the end of the summer term prior to the start of the program in January.

I am a Registered Nurse holding a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field, am I eligible to apply?

No. The Program requires a Bachelor of Nursing Science or Master of Science in Nursing degree as an admission requirement.

I am a physician with a medical degree in a foreign country. Can I apply for the nurse anesthesia program?

A Registered Nurse (RN) License is a pre-requisite for CRNA certification and Advanced Practice Nursing licensure. Therefore, applicants must possess a RN license to apply.

I attended a previous nurse anesthesia program, can I apply?

Yes. Applicants who apply and have previously attended a nurse anesthesia program must also submit a reference from the Program Director of the program that indicates the applicant left the program in good standing and their AANA number at the time of the application deadline. No anesthesia courses maybe transferred from the previous program.